Tradition, the full circle

Bankowy Square has always been one of the most attractive and liveliest parts of the Polish capital. In the 19 th century citizens of Warsaw enjoyed their time off at the Theatre Square nearby and they liked to relax in the Saxon Garden. In 1926 Antonio Corazzi designed the main frontage of Bankowy Square and the buildings of the Stock Exchange, the Bank of Poland and the Palace of the Ministry of Revenues and Treasury. The place instantly became the background and scenery for a number of breakthrough events in Polish and the city of Warsaw’s history. Today, the newly modernised and remastered Bankowy Square is an important administrative and business centre, and Plac Bankowy 1 constitutes a key part of it.

1713

The Saxon Axis, one of the more elaborate achievements in 18 th century Polish urban design was designed at that time. The core and central part of the route was the Saxon Palace with its outstanding gardens arranged around it, along with the Iron Gate Square and the Mirowskie Barracks.

1826-1828

Bankowy Square was designed and built as a very representative part of the city and a high-end location for important institutions in this part of partitioned Poland. Those years a new tenement house was constructed in the place of 17 th century the Bieliński’s Palace, a Tylman of Gameren design. The new 19 th century tenement house, owned by Barbara Kossecka at that time, formed the cornerstone of what we see today as Plac Bankowy 1.

1947-1997

In the post-war decades Plac Bankowy 1 was gradually revived after severe damage left behind by long years of German occupation and wartime fights in Warsaw. The estate was extended by adjoining it to the neighbouring crescent- shaped building. The new, significantly enlarged building served for years as Hotel Saski, initially military, later a civil hotel, and functioned as suchlike until 1997. In the meantime, the entire Bankowy Square area was continually redesigned and reconstructed, regaining its attractive looks and the vital role it had formerly played in the capital’s urban space.

2012

After years of concept and construction work, the historic Hotel Saski was converted into a deluxe office building called Plac Bankowy 1.